Recipe by Manami
To keep burgers juicy, resist the urge to press patties down during grilling. We made these with turkey and they were delicious! Served both types of yogurt sauces: cumin yogurt sauce and yogurt sauce with cilantro and lemon. - it was a 50-50 tie! MarthaStewart.com :) Marinating time was not figured in - 10 to 30 minutes.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs or 1 1⁄2 lbs turkey thighs
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger (from a peeled 2-inch piece)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- coarse salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- vegetable oil, for grates
- 4 (6 inch) whole wheat pita bread
- 1 cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced on the diagonal (8 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh fresh cilantro stem
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat grill to medium-high.
- In a medium bowl, place chicken, scallions, ginger, lemon juice, paprika, cumin, cardamom, cayenne, 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt, & 1/2 teaspoon pepper; toss to combine; set aside to marinate, at least 10 and up to 30 minutes.
- Transfer chicken mixture to a food processor; pulse until chopped, but not pasty, 10 to 12 times.
- Gently form mixture into eight 3/4-inch-thick patties (about 4-5 tablespoons each).
- Moisten a folded paper towel with oil; grasp with tongs and rub over grates.
- Season patties with salt and pepper; grill until opaque throughout, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- CUMIN YOGURT SAUCE:
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt with 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin; season with coarse salt and ground pepper.
- Halve pitas crosswise (toast on grill, if you like).
- Into each pocket, place 2 chicken or turkey patties, cucumber slices, and cilantro sprigs.
- Serve with Cumin Yogurt Sauce and, if desired, watermelon slices.
- Also, if you have Green Mango or Roasted Peach Chutney on hand it goes along with these very nicely, just a suggestion. ;).