1/1 Photo of Tandoori-Style Chicken Burgers
To keep burgers juicy, resist the urge to press patties down during grilling. We made these with turkey and they were delicious! Served both types of yogurt sauces: cumin yogurt sauce and yogurt sauce with cilantro and lemon. - it was a 50-50 tie! MarthaStewart.com :) Marinating time was not figured in - 10 to 30 minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs or 1 1/2 lbs turkey thighs
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger (from a peeled 2-inch piece)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- coarse salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- vegetable oil, for grates
- 4 (6 inch) whole wheat pita bread
- 1 cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced on the diagonal (8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup fresh fresh cilantro stem
- 1Heat grill to medium-high.
- 2In a medium bowl, place chicken, scallions, ginger, lemon juice, paprika, cumin, cardamom, cayenne, 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt, & 1/2 teaspoon pepper; toss to combine; set aside to marinate, at least 10 and up to 30 minutes.
- 3Transfer chicken mixture to a food processor; pulse until chopped, but not pasty, 10 to 12 times.
- 4Gently form mixture into eight 3/4-inch-thick patties (about 4-5 tablespoons each).
- 5Moisten a folded paper towel with oil; grasp with tongs and rub over grates.
- 6Season patties with salt and pepper; grill until opaque throughout, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- 7CUMIN YOGURT SAUCE:
- 8In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt with 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin; season with coarse salt and ground pepper.
- 9Halve pitas crosswise (toast on grill, if you like).
- 10Into each pocket, place 2 chicken or turkey patties, cucumber slices, and cilantro sprigs.
- 11Serve with Cumin Yogurt Sauce and, if desired, watermelon slices.
- 12Also, if you have Green Mango or Roasted Peach Chutney on hand it goes along with these very nicely, just a suggestion. ;).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tandoori-Style Chicken Burgers
Serving Size: 1 (324 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 346.4
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 141.6 mg
- Sodium 378.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 39.0 g