Prep 8 hrs
Cook 40 mins
Not a true tandoori chicken, which is made in a tandoor oven. This chicken still has all the spice, and is easily made in the home oven.
- 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄3 cup plain yogurt
- 1 -2 jalapeno chiles or 1 -2 serrano chili, seeded and minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 lbs skinless chicken legs or 3 lbs skinless chicken thighs
- Stir together lime juice, yogurt, minced chiles, salt, turmeric, coriander, cumin, ginger, garlic, cayenne, cinnamon, cloves, and 1 tbsp of oil in a mixing bowl.
- Cut slits across the meat of chicken and rub spice mixture all over chicken.
- Marinate chicken in this mixture for 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the last tbsp of oil in the bottom of a roasting pan and layer chicken pieces in the bottom of pan.
- Bake 425F for 35-40 minutes or until chicken is done (you may want to check the chicken about 5-8 minutes before and it may even cook longer than the 40 min, depending on size of pieces).
amazing!!! Changes I made (suggest) -fresh garlic (3 cloves) - 1/2 to 1tsp smoked paprika -use thighs not breast Best Way To cook: -cook over highest heat setting on bbq just to char each side -then cook using indirect heat for about 30+ minutes... closest thing to a tandoor oven taste! ENJOY this great recipe.
Yum! Made this using skinless boneless chicken breasts tonight on the George Foreman and it turned out wonderful. I used fresh garlic and ginger, 2 thai bird chiles instead and no turmeric because I didn't have any. I also didn't need to oil the grill, which made this recipe even healthier. Thanks for the recipe!
A family favorite!! I omit the jalepenos & put it under the broiler for about 5 minutes to get it nice & crisp. Also add red food coloring (to the marinade) to give it a beautiful red color. Thanks for the awesome recipe!!