Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
There are so many tandoori spice mix recipes out there, but this is the one I adapted from several and I make it every week. It won't give you a pretty red colour, but it tastes wonderful. It's low fat - I always skin and trim the chicken and no-fat yogurt can be used. Less (or more!) chilli can be used, and if your garam masala mix has ginger in it reduce the minced ginger. Any left over marinade can be frozen.
- 8 chicken pieces
- 3 -4 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground red chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- lemon juice
- Prepare chicken pieces and pat dry.
- Mix the spices, salt and coriander together and add the yogurt gradually until you get a good consistency (not too stiff and not too slack).
- Taste (it will taste salty but it'll be fine once cooked) and add lemon juice if you want.
- Coat the chicken with the marinade (I use a teaspoon).
- Leave the chicken to marinate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C Cook the chicken (uncovered) for 25 minutes.