Recipe by chef ashish damle
This is twist on the normal chicken tandoori. served with sweet apple fritters and wilted spinach. The sauce is creamy and sweet. The quail cooks fast and one whole bird will be enough per person with the rice stuffing.
FOR THE QUAIL
- 4 quail (split into half on the back bone)
- 100 ml yogurt
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (available in Indian stores)
- 25 ml mustard oil (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5 ml orange food coloring (optional)
- 200 g cooked basmati rice pilaf
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala (available in Indian stores)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves (kassori methi)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 200 ml 35% cream
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 green chili pepper, finely chopped
- 60 ml butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cooking apples
- 1 egg
- 50 g all-purpose flour
- 30 g cornflour
- 60 ml cold water
- 15 g sugar
- 1 liter oil (for frying)
- 100 g Baby Spinach
- 10 g chopped ginger
- 15 ml olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Marinade the quail with yougurt and all spices over night.
- the next day pull out the quails and cook them whole in the oven with legs spread apart. This will facilitate stuffing later.
- Heat a pan and cook the rest of the marinade till its reduced to half.
- Mix in rice pilaf and keep warm.
- In a heavy bottom pan, melt butter and add the cumin seeds. Allow to crackle; add in the ginger and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the dry spices and cook till they get aromatic.
- Then add the tomato puree and cook over medium heat. Add the sugar and cream; allow to reduce by 1/4. Add salt, fenugreek powder and chopped cilantro.
- Keep warm.
- Prepare batter for apple fritters with eggs flour and water.
- Peel apples and remove core using a apple corer or a knife.
- Slice into 1/4-inch thick slices and fry in batter.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar.
- Wilt spinach in a pan with hot olive oil infused with ginger.
- On a plate plate sautéed spinach in the center. Stuff each quail with the rice and place up top.
- Stack 4 fritters next to the quail and drizzle sauce around the plate and over the quail.
- Serve hot.
- Greek salad goes well with this dish.