Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
A recipe from Ricardo posted for ZWT8-India
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon harissa (or hot sauce of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (see note)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs peeled large shrimp
- 8 wooden skewers, soaked in the water for 30 minutes
- Marinade: In a bowl, combine all the ingredients. Season with salt. Set aside.
- Thread the shrimp onto the skewers and place in the marinade. Coat thoroughly.
- Preheat the grill, setting the burners on high or preheat a ridged nonstick skillet.
- Remove the skewers from the marinade and cook for about 2 minutes on each side.
- Serve the shrimp with basmati rice and raita.
- Tips: Garam masala is a spice mixture from the northern region of India that enhances most vegetable, fish, and meat dishes. You can find garam masala in specialty grocery stores, but you can make a homemade version. In a large skillet over high heat, pan-fry for 1 minute 5 ml (1 teaspoon) of green cardamom seeds (small grains), 5 ml (1 teaspoon) of cumin seeds, 5 ml (1 teaspoon) of coriander seeds, 5 ml (1 teaspoon) of black peppercorns, 5 ml (1 teaspoon) of whole cloves, 1 cinnamon stick and 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) of ground nutmeg. Let cool, then grind the spices together very finely.