Prep 2 hrs
Cook 10 mins
A twist on the popular Indian favourite 'Tandoori Chicken'. I'm quite fond of the chicken variation but I just love what the recipe does to prawns. Most of you may not have a tandoor (outdoor clay oven) so just use a regular oven. Or better still, barbecue the prawns on a wintry night and serve with cold beer!
- 12 large prawns
- 3 tablespoons hung curds (or thick yoghurt)
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (or curry powder)
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil (optional)
- 1 tablespoon malt vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- salt (to taste)
- Clean and devein the prawns. Marinate in a mixture of the vinegar, salt and pepper. Refrigerate for an hour.
- Stir the ginger-garlic paste and garam masala into the yoghurt. Add the mustard oil and cumin powder and mix well.
- Drain the prawns of the first mixture and marinate in the second. Refrigerate for another hour.
- Skewer and cook in a tandoor or oven, turning occasionally and basting with melted butter. Alternatively, cook on the barbecue grill.
- Remove when the prawns are almost cooked (but not fully, since they will cook further with the internal heat). Serve with onion rings.