Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A great side dish when you're grilling! Adapted from The Splendid Table, by Lynn Rossetto Kasper.
- 2 cups whole milk yogurt (not low fat)
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 inches piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon toasted cumin seed (heat whole cumin in a skillet over medium until aromatic 3 to 5 minutes)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
Vegetables-you may vary this to what you like
- chunks zucchini (or summer squash)
- thin slices carrot
- wedges red onion
- wedges sweet pepper
- thin slices potato (white or sweet)
- sugar snap pea
- corn on the cob
- Toss your selection of vegetables with the marinade in the bowl. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Have coals to the stage where they are coated with gray ash.
- Lift vegetables from the marinade (don't wipe it off) and place on the grill without touching each other. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill slowly, turning with tongs, until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Test by piercing with a knife. Serve hot or at room temperature. Enjoy!
This is "different" in that it uses Easern spices from India but 1) it's not very tasty, it's just different and 2) this is NOT Tandoori vegetables. I don't know why the writer is using the word Tandoori, That is completely wrong. I'm Indian and Tandoori is a type of oven in India and the spices you use to cook in this oven are usually red and spicy , hence Tandoori chicken and Chicken Tikka are red. Also a Tandoor oven is for meats, not vegetables. Indian vegetables are cooked completely differently. This marinade, in India, would not be used for cooking, it would be a raw marinade for salads and snack vegeatables like cucumber, carrot, tomatoes, etc. I would call this recipe a simply Indian -spiced vegetables recipe or more appropriately this is a Duhee-Cumin vegetable marinade. Overall I thought this receipe was ok at best, for those who have never tried Indian food and want to say that they made Indian food, this recipe is the quicky and easy way of achieving that but, honestly, just learn the real way, and the food is going to taste a lot better. I do want to thank the writer though, It must have taken him a lot of work to figure out this recipe.
This dish was delish! My boyfriend and I grilled it up yesterday with #33170 and a side of rice. We were in heaven. The flavours of this dish are just right - allowing the flavour of the veggies to shine, but with wonderful flavour. We used green pepper, red pepper, yellow pepper, red onion, zucchini and potatoes. We found the potatoes weren't cooking well, but everything else was ABSOLUTELY wonderful. We used a grilling basket on the bbq. It turned out great! Thanks so much for sharing!
This was quick and easy and very nice to do on the grill. I used corn, zucchini, yellow squash and carrots. I did not have cumin seeds so I just added some ground cumin. Next time I will add more red pepper as we like things very hot. Made for ZWT 4.