Recipe by Sharon123
A great side dish when you're grilling! Adapted from The Splendid Table, by Lynn Rossetto Kasper.
Top Review by fvitterbi
This is "different" in that it uses Easern spices from India but 1) it's not very tasty, it's just different and 2) this is NOT Tandoori vegetables. I don't know why the writer is using the word Tandoori, That is completely wrong. I'm Indian and Tandoori is a type of oven in India and the spices you use to cook in this oven are usually red and spicy , hence Tandoori chicken and Chicken Tikka are red. Also a Tandoor oven is for meats, not vegetables. Indian vegetables are cooked completely differently. This marinade, in India, would not be used for cooking, it would be a raw marinade for salads and snack vegeatables like cucumber, carrot, tomatoes, etc. I would call this recipe a simply Indian -spiced vegetables recipe or more appropriately this is a Duhee-Cumin vegetable marinade. Overall I thought this receipe was ok at best, for those who have never tried Indian food and want to say that they made Indian food, this recipe is the quicky and easy way of achieving that but, honestly, just learn the real way, and the food is going to taste a lot better. I do want to thank the writer though, It must have taken him a lot of work to figure out this recipe.
- 2 cups whole milk yogurt (not low fat)
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 inches piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon toasted cumin seed (heat whole cumin in a skillet over medium until aromatic 3 to 5 minutes)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
Vegetables-you may vary this to what you like
- chunks zucchini (or summer squash)
- thin slices carrot
- wedges red onion
- wedges sweet pepper
- thin slices potato (white or sweet)
- sugar snap pea
- corn on the cob
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss your selection of vegetables with the marinade in the bowl. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Have coals to the stage where they are coated with gray ash.
- Lift vegetables from the marinade (don't wipe it off) and place on the grill without touching each other. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill slowly, turning with tongs, until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Test by piercing with a knife. Serve hot or at room temperature. Enjoy!