Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
Tandoori is the juiciest, tenderest chicken you can make. The garnish in this recipe isn't just for looks, either. It's important to leave the chicken to rest with the garnish for 10 minutes. It continues to cook during this time, making it juicier, and allowing it to absorb the flavor of the cilantro, limes, and onions. I found this recipe in Tauntons Fine Cooking from July of '97.
for the marinade
- 2 inches ginger, peeled
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (more if you want it really spicy!)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 cup plain yogurt (low fat if you like)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- paprika or 3 -5 drops red food coloring (optional)
for the chicken
- 2⁄3 lb boneless chicken
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter or 1⁄4 cup olive oil (I use ghee instead)
for the garnish
- 1⁄2 mild onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 -2 fresh green chili, thinly sliced (remove the seeds if you like it less spicy)
- 1 lime, cut in wedges
- Blend Ginger into a fine paste (you may need to add a little water) Add turmeric, chili, salt, cumin, yogurt, lime juice, and coloring.
- Process until combined.
- Remove skin from chicken, leaving some fat make a few slits in each piece and transfer to a nonreactive dish large enough for the pieces to lay flat.
- Pour marinade over chicken, stir to coat chicken, seal w/ plastic, refrigerate and marinate for 4 to 12 hours, turning once (more than 12 hours may make the chicken too squishy).
- Set an even layer of coals.
- When charcoal is red-hot, lay chicken pieces on the grill about 2 in.
- Baste w/ marinade.
- Cover the grill, leaving vents half-open.
- After 5 min, remove grill lid, turn the chicken; they should look slightly charred.
- Replace lid, and continue cooking for 5-7 minutes.
- Uncover, baste w/ melted butter (ghee will not need to be melted).
- Leave uncovered.
- Baste after 2 or 3 minutes and test for doneness: the meat sould feel firm when you press it.
- Transfer to a large platter.
- Arrange garnish over the chicken and seal w/ foil.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes.