Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Marinate chicken and then bake. From King's Cooking Studio's Twenty Tasteful Years edition. This says "Since you might not be able to install a tandoori oven in your home, try this version. Rubbing the marinade into gashes in the chicken and marinating overnight help to create the tandoori flavor of this most favorite of India's chicken preparations." This is nice served on a bed of sliced tomatoes, onions green pepper and lemon wedges
- 3 1⁄2 lbs skinless chicken pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (optional)
- 4 ounces butter, melted, to be used after marination
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds, roasted
- 1 lemon, sliced into wedges
- 2 tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 1 green pepper, seeded and sliced into strips (use chili pepper if you like)
- Place chicken in a shallow baking dish and pierce with a knife in 2-3 places on both sides of chicken.
- In a bowl, place garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, red pepper, and salt, and blend with a spoon.
- Add yogurt, vinegar and lemon juice (optional) and blend well.
- Rub marinade into gashes in the chicken pieces.
- Cover and refrigerate and let stand at room temperature until dish can safely be placed in the oven,.
- Baste the chicken pieces with half of the melted butter, 2 oz., and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the oven and baste with the remaining 2 oz. of butter, sprinkle with paprika.
- Broil or grill for 6-8 minutes, turning pieces once.
- Garnish with roasted cumin seeds and place on a serving dish.
- Serve atop a bed of tomato slices, onions and green peppers with lemon wedges.