Prep 24 hrs
Cook 15 mins
- 8 chicken thighs or 8 chicken breasts, cut into pieces and skewered
- 250 ml yoghurt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (2 inch) grated gingerroot
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste, for colour (optional)
- 1 pinch saffron, for colour (optional)
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place the yoghurt, oil, onions, garlic, ginger and lemon juice and all the spices in a bowl and mix well.
- Spread over and around the skewers and marinate chicken for 24 hours turning a couple of times.
- Cook chicken skewers suspended over the coals in a hot kettle BBQ (or BBQ with a lid).
- After around 5 minutes when the chicken is well browned, turn the chicken over to cook on the other side.
- This may depend on the your oven heat.
- Replace the lid and cook for another 5 minutes or so until the chicken flesh is just set.