Recipe by tamcarey2002
This is my attempt to copy my grandmother-n-law's homemade spaghetti sauce. The venison is my addition and replacement of ground round. This recipe yields a very large amount so be ready to freeze or can for future meals.
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3 large onions
- 3 large bell peppers
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic cloves
- 2 (19 7/8 ounce) packages mild Italian sausage
- 4 lbs ground venison (optional ground round-beef)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 4 (29 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 5 (29 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 4 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 8 ounces parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop onions and bell peppers - set a side.
- Remove Italian sausage from skin,(discard skins) mix with venison or ground round.
- With large stock pot heat olive oil over (med.heat) and add onions, bell peppers and minced garlic. Saute till onions are clear.
- Add meat mixture and cook till meat is done.
- Add all cans of diced tomato's, sauce and paste. Stir and mix well.
- Add oregano, basil, sugar. Stir and mix well. Continue to cook on med. heat for about 30 minutes Stirring occasionally.
- Add parmesan cheese and salt to taste, reduce heat to med-low simmer for 3-4 hours (the longer you simmer the better the flavor).
- Serve over your favor pasta.