Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
I found this at a Japanese steakhouse. My wife would never go near raw fish but this is cooked, an absolute must try for the sushi beginner! Go easy on the wasabi though. Kids love it too as an alternative to fish sticks.
- 2 cups sushi rice (japanese sticky rice)
- 1 piece 3/4 x 3/4 inch square grouper (approximately 8 inches long)
- tempura batter
- 1 sheet nori (seaweed sheets)
- 2 teaspoons sliced onions
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
- toasted sesame seeds
- oil (for deep frying)
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 350 degrees.
- Dredge grouper in tempura flour then dip in tempura batter and deep fry for 1 1/2 mins, set aside.
- Spread sushi rice out on bamboo mat about 8"x 8" square.
- (dip fingers in water to keep rice from sticking to them) Toast nori over an open flame, just til crispy, lay sheet over rice.
- Spread mayo on bottom edge of nori sheet, add grouper and onion slivers.
- Start at bottom and roll, rice should be on the outside if done right.
- (sort of like a jelly roll) Cut into 8 pieces, lay flat and sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Serve with japanese soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger.
sounds great. I will make this and then update my review.