Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
My mom's recipe. Favorite of mine growing up. Everyone I have made this for loves it! Can be frozen for once a month cooking.
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 minced garlic cloves or 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (36 ounce) can Italian-style tomatoes (optional)
- 1 cup water
- 1 lb spaghetti
- Saute ground chuck, onion, and garlic in a quart dutch oven over medium heat until meat is browned and onion is tender (about 20 minutes).
- Add sugar, salt, basil, and red pepper; mix well.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and 1 cup water.
- Mash tomatoes with wooden spoon.
- Bring to boiling.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer covered.
- Stir frequently until thickened (1 1/2 to 2 hours).
- Cook spaghetti as package label directs.