Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe for the very traditional breakfast or snack dish of patties made from seasoned broad beans. The recipe is easy & will make you some seriously delicious vegetarian treats! Time to make doesn't include resting time.
- 2 cups broad beans (fresh, soaked or tinned)
- 1 cup finely chopped spring onion
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot chili pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- sesame seeds (optional)
- oil (for deep frying)
- Drain & rinse soaked or tinned beans. Remove skins.
- Combine prepared ingredients and process in 2 lots using steel blade. Mix well to evenly distribute flavours, rest mixture 30 minute then fry as directed above.
- Let mixture rest for 30 minutes.
- With wet hands shape about a tablespoon of mixture at a time into thick patties about 4 cm (1-1/2 inches) in diameter. Place on a tray and leave at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil to 180C or until a cube of bread turns golden in 1 minute. Fry the Ta'miyyah a few at a time until deep golden brown, turning to brown evenly. Each lot should take 5 minutes to cook. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot with flat bread such as Khoubiz, Salata Tahina and assorted salad vegetables, such as tomato, cucumber, sweet peppers and lettuce.