Recipe by Ambervim
Tamarind will become a kitchen staple, once you try it. This recipe is from December 2013 Bon Appetit. If you like pad Thai, it is a must in a "real" recipe.
- 1⁄3 cup palm sugar (light brown sugar is a good substitute)
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 6 ounces Bourbon
- 4 ounces lime juice, fresh is best (lemon if that is all you have on hand)
- 2 ounces tamarind paste
- orange wedge, to garnish (optional)
- maraschino cherry, to garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring sugar to boil, stirring till dissolved. Cool.
- Combine 1.5 oz bourbon, 1 oz lime juice, 1 oz palm sugar syrup and .5 oz tamarind concentrate in a cocktail shaker.
- Fill shaker with ice. Shake until the outside is frosty - about 30 seconds.
- Strain into a rocks glass filled with ice and serve with an orange wedge and cherry.