1/2 Photos of Tamarind-Spiced Chickpeas and Spinach
Recipe adapted from the Whole Foods website. This is a simple and quick meal- great for weeknights. And it's low fat, too. Serve over brown rice or another whole grain.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon evaporated cane juice sugar
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained
- 1 (6 ounce) package pre-washed Baby Spinach (about 6 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- pepper, to taste
- 1Heat oil spray in large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- 2Add onion and sauté until softened and golden brown, about 7 minutes. Add small amounts of water as needed to keep onions from burning.
- 3Add cumin, coriander and cayenne to skillet and stir to coat onion with spices.
- 4Cook for one minute then add diced tomatoes, with their juice, water, sugar, red pepper flakes and tamarind concentrate. Stir to mix well.
- 5Add chickpeas and bring mixture to a gentle boil. Reduce heat and simmer over medium-low heat, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- 6Stir in spinach until wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tamarind-Spiced Chickpeas and Spinach
Serving Size: 1 (412 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 311.0
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1040.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.5 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 13.0 g