Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
From: "The Habanero Cookbook" by Dave DeWitt & Nancy Gerlach
- Shell the tamarind pods and remove the seeds from the pulp.
- Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan, add the pulp, and simmer until the liquid is reduced to 1 cup.
- Add the sugar, stir to dissolve, and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Strain the sauce through a piece of cheesecloth or muslin and squeeze out as much liquid as possible from the pulp.
- Tamarind sauce will keep for about a month when stored covered in the fridge.