4 hrs 15 mins
3 hrs 15 mins
Chef #573036's Note:
My version of Vij's version. I have reduced the amount of oil used. Vij's states this is for 6 I believe it is more for 8.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (poke all over with knife)
- 2/3 cup tamarind paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 3/8 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon Mexican chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1/8 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 lbs onions, thinly sliced
- 7 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 8 ounces tomatoes, 2 medium, chopped
- 1 large jalapeno, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon crushed cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 inches cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 5 tablespoons chickpea flour
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup low-fat coconut milk
- 1Combine marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Add chicken breasts and cover well with marinade. Cover and refrigerate 3 hours or do it in the morning and leave in fridge until dinnertime.
- 2Curry: Heat oil on medium heat 1 minute. Add onions and saute till golden brown about 10 minutes. Edges of some onions will be slightly burnt and that's okay.
- 3Stir in tomatoes, jalapeno, cumin, coriander, cayenne, tumeric, cinnamon stick and salt. Cook 5 to 8 minutes or until oil glistens through tomatoes. Reduce heat to low.
- 4In a separate bowl, mix chick pea flour and 1 cup of water mixing thoroughly with whisk. Make sure there are no lumps.
- 5Add this mixture and remaining water to curry. Stir well and increase heat to medium.
- 6When curry boils, reduce to low and add coconut milk.
- 7Stir curry regularly and simmer for 20-30 minutes. The curry will thicken as it boils. Cook until the curry is the consistency of a cream sauce.
- 8Preheat BBQ or grilling pan to high heat. If in the kitchen, turn the exhaust fan on high and open the windows.
- 9Grill each chicken breast 4-5 minutes each side. Test for doneness and cook another minute per side if necessary.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tamarind Marinated Chicken Breasts in Coconut-Chickpea Flour
Serving Size: 1 (479 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 379.4
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 74.0 mg
- Sodium 1851.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 15.5 g
- Protein 32.5 g