Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a very popular drink in East Africa. It's like the ones you can buy at the grocery store but you can add your own variations to it with lime juice, honey, cinnamon, or vanilla.
- In a teakettle bring water to a boil.
- Place the tamarind pulp in a heatproof mixing bowl or baking dish.
- Add lime juice if using it.
- Pour boiling water over the tamarind.
- Stir in sugar and/or honey.
- Cover and allow to stand several hours or overnight.
- Strain the tamarind water through a strainer or clean cloth.
- Dilute with more water and add more sugar or honey to taste.
- Refrigerate and serve over ice.
- As variations, a few spoonfuls of cinnamon, vanilla, or grated ginger may be combined with the tamarind pulp before the water is added.
Great recipe, thank you MeliBug! We made a short video of us making this following your instructions :) Please like and share: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PODVaG0oGZU
That British Nanny and the Californian Kids x
I have been making this since I was pregnant with my first 4 years ago. A friend from West Africa showed me it. I loved the slight sourness and an excellient source of Vit. C. The kids love this drink too. I am glad you shared.