Recipe by MeliBug
This is a very popular drink in East Africa. It's like the ones you can buy at the grocery store but you can add your own variations to it with lime juice, honey, cinnamon, or vanilla.
- 2 cups tamarind pulp
- 2 quarts boiling water
- 2 tablespoons sugar (to taste)
- honey (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (to taste) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a teakettle bring water to a boil.
- Place the tamarind pulp in a heatproof mixing bowl or baking dish.
- Add lime juice if using it.
- Pour boiling water over the tamarind.
- Stir in sugar and/or honey.
- Cover and allow to stand several hours or overnight.
- Strain the tamarind water through a strainer or clean cloth.
- Dilute with more water and add more sugar or honey to taste.
- Refrigerate and serve over ice.
- As variations, a few spoonfuls of cinnamon, vanilla, or grated ginger may be combined with the tamarind pulp before the water is added.