Recipe by Manami
Another Monica Bhide recipe! We had the shrimp late last night and I woke up this morning wishing I had some more, they were so delicious! ;) I suggest that you make double the quantity and keep them ready to serve!!! We made these for the seafood and protein lovers! Monica Bhide's newest cookbook is Modern Spice: Inspired Indian Flavors for the Contemporary Kitchen (Simon & Schuster, 2009). There is a 2 hr marinating time for which I didn't allow.
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons prepared tamarind-date chutney
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined (medium to large)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine the lemon juice, chutney, honey, ginger, red pepper flakes (if using), coriander, and salt;. mix well.
- Add the shrimp and toss well to coat; cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- About 10 minutes before serving time, heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Just before the oil starts smoking, add the shrimp and marinade to the pan.
- Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes or until the shrimp are pink and no longer translucent.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and pour any liquid from the pan over the shrimp.
- Serve warm with basmatti rice with chives.