Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
More commonly known as puli-inji... puli = tamarind & inji = ginger. This traditional Keralite spicy-tangy relish is a part of every festive meal. It can be stored for quite a long time in an air-tight container.
- 25 g gingerroot, finely chopped
- 4 -5 green chilies
- 25 g coconut oil
- 3 -4 dried red chilies
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon tamarind pulp
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- 25 g jaggery (powdered)
- 7 -8 curry leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- Dissolve the tamarind pulp in the water. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil, add mustard. When it starts spluttering, add dried red chillies and sauté.
- Next, add chopped ginger and green chillies; fry well, strain and keep aside.
- Heat the tamarind water, add turmeric powder, chili powder, asafetida, jaggery, curry leaves and fenugreek seeds. Boil till it turns thick.
- Add the fried ginger and green chillies, boil for a minute.
- Once it has cooled, transfer to a dry airtight container.