The quantities are guesstimates. You can adjust everything for your taste. Updated 4/3/06 - Addition of ginger powder. Improved the steps
- Place the jaggery, dates and water in a deep boiling pan for about 2 hours.
- After the dates become smooth, blend in a mixer till smooth.
- Strain and transfer to the pan again.
- Add the tamarind paste and seasoning.
- Boil till thick enough to coat the back of a spoon thinly.
- Cool again. Store in clean airtight bottles and refrigerate.
- Shelf life of about a month in the refrigerator.
- * Here, I have used tamarind paste. But in case you do not have tamarind, soak the tamarind in water and extract its paste.
- What I usually do is use dry tamarind powder which I get from Indian grocery stores.