Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Perfect dipping sauce for Samosas.
- 8-10 large dates, pits removed
- 177.44 ml jaggery (Indian unrefined sugar) or 177.44 ml dark brown sugar
- 354.88 ml water
- 59.16 ml tamarind paste
- 1.23 ml hot chili powder
- 2.46 ml ground ginger
- 4.92 ml ground garam masala
- 3.69 ml salt
- Place the sugar, dates and water in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for about 7-8 minutes, until the dates are very soft.
- Stir in the tamarind.
- Very carefully, pour the ingredients into a blender, clamp the lid down tight and blend until smooth (or blend in the pot with an immersion/stick blender).
- Return the mixture to the pot and boil until thick enough to thinly coat the back of a spoon (the chutney will thicken more as it cools).
- Stir in the spices and salt.
- Taste for seasoning: the chutney should be equal parts sweet, salty and sour.
- Add more tamarind, sugar or salt if any of these needs a boost.
- Store in a covered container in the refrigerator.
Absolutely Delicious ...Use it with a variety of foods
Absolutely loved this chutney! Was the first time I've made one and it was a delightful surprise and a big hit! This will def be my go to chutney for my samosas!!! T
Absolutely amazing! This is an easy, delicious sweet chutney recipe that went great with samosas. Thank you!