1/2 Photos of Tamarind - Date Chutney
Lorrie in Montreal's Note:
Perfect dipping sauce for Samosas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the sugar, dates and water in a saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Bring to a boil and simmer for about 7-8 minutes, until the dates are very soft.
- 3Stir in the tamarind.
- 4Very carefully, pour the ingredients into a blender, clamp the lid down tight and blend until smooth (or blend in the pot with an immersion/stick blender).
- 5Return the mixture to the pot and boil until thick enough to thinly coat the back of a spoon (the chutney will thicken more as it cools).
- 6Stir in the spices and salt.
- 7Taste for seasoning: the chutney should be equal parts sweet, salty and sour.
- 8Add more tamarind, sugar or salt if any of these needs a boost.
- 9Store in a covered container in the refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Chutneys Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chutneys Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tamarind - Date Chutney
Serving Size: 1 (616 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 408.6
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 888.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 106.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 101.4 g
- Protein 1.2 g