1 hr 10 mins
Found this on an asian cooking website. When I originally posted this recipe, I had never tried it. Well, since then I have tried this recipe and must say I was not very impressed. Feel free to make this if you think you might like it, or maybe make some adjustments to it, but I made it as it is posted and I didn't like it. I love agua de tamarindo so I thought this might be good, but turned out not to be what I thought. Just FYI!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 453.59 g chicken wings
- 1Chop the shallots.
- 2Throw all the marinade ingredients into a food processor and whiz till you get a nice smooth paste.
- 3Taste the marinade. It should have a pronounced tamarind-y and sweet flavour. Don't worry about the saltiness yet.
- 4Take the chicken wings and cut each wing into two at the joint.
- 5In a large bowl, add the chicken wings and marinade and mix well with your hands.
- 6Cover and leave it to marinate overnight in the refrigerator, even 24 hours if you can.
- 7After the marinating time is over, you'll find that some of the marinade has pooled in your bowl.
- 8Transfer the chicken wings to another bowl, gently shaking off any excess marinade.
- 9Now you'll have marinated wings in one bowl and excess marinade in the other.
- 10We're about to deep-fry the chicken wings and the excess marinade will form our dipping sauce.
- 11The wings must be fried only when required so they stay hot.
- 12To make the sauce, take a pan, heat it, and pour the extra marinade into it.
- 13Add about 1/2 cup of water or chicken stock and cook over medium heat for about 15-20 minutes till you have a sweet and fruity-sour sauce the consistency of tomato ketchup.
- 14At this point, taste the sauce for saltiness and flavour balance.
- 15Adjust if required. Turn off the heat.
- 16For the wings: In a frying pan, heat about 300 ml oil for deep-frying.
- 17Fry as many wings on medium-high heat at one time as you can without crowding them too much.
- 18This should take about 5 minutes or till it turns a nice brown (not golden brown; we want them darker than that.).
- 19Remove the first batch to a platter and dry the extra oil off with paper towels.
- 20Repeat this till you've fried the entire batch of wings. Resist the temptation to eat them after they're fried. Actually, go ahead, try one piece. ;).
- 21Now you have deep-fried wings and a dipping sauce.
- 22How you want to take it from here is up to you.
- 23You can serve the wings with the sauce on the side, or you can pour the sauce on top of the wings with a spoon to coat them. The second option is messier to eat, but more fun.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tamarind Chicken Wings
Serving Size: 1 (107 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 340.6
- Calories from Fat 183
- Total Fat 20.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 87.4 mg
- Sodium 919.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 12.7 g
- Protein 21.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red chili paste