Tamarind Beef Curry (Samlaa Ko Phet)
- In a small bowl, combine tamarind pulp with the boiling water and let steep for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the meat into thin strips, 1/2-inch wide and 2-inches long.
- In a food processor, combine chili, cilantro, galangal and lemon grass and process to a paste.
- Heat the oil in a wok, add onions and garlic and stir-fry for about 2 minutes; add the paste from the food processor and stir-fry 3 minutes more.
- Add the beef and stir-fry 3 to 4 minutes; next add the fish sauce, sugar, and coconut milk.
- Strain the tamarind liquid into the wok, discarding the solids; mix well and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the eggplant, lime juice, and grated peel; continue simmering 5 minutes to soften the eggplant.
- Serve immediately.