Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A taste of The Cook Islands, taken from www.tamarind.co.ck and posted for ZWT7
Make and share this Tamarind Banana Chutney recipe from Food.com.
- 3 kg bananas, chopped (or 2.5 kilos mixed fruit such as bananas, starfruit & papaya)
- 236.59-354.88 ml tamarind pulp
- 500 g onions, chopped
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 14.79 ml grated ginger
- 9.85 ml salt
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 4.92 ml ground cloves
- 4.92 ml dry crushed red pepper (to taste)
- 946.36 ml white sugar
- 709.77 ml white wine vinegar
- Combine all ingredients in heavy bottomed, non-aluminium saucepan pan, stir well.
- Boil gently, stirring often, for 2 hours till thick and jam-like.
- Take special care towards the final stages to ensure that chutney does not stick and burn.
- Pack in sterlisized jars, seal while hot.
- Refrigerate after opening.