Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A taste of The Cook Islands, taken from www.tamarind.co.ck and posted for ZWT7
Make and share this Tamarind Banana Chutney recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 kg bananas, chopped (or 2.5 kilos mixed fruit such as bananas, starfruit & papaya)
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup tamarind pulp
- 500 g onions, chopped
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper (to taste)
- 4 cups white sugar
- 3 cups white wine vinegar
- Combine all ingredients in heavy bottomed, non-aluminium saucepan pan, stir well.
- Boil gently, stirring often, for 2 hours till thick and jam-like.
- Take special care towards the final stages to ensure that chutney does not stick and burn.
- Pack in sterlisized jars, seal while hot.
- Refrigerate after opening.