Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 48 hrs
Cook 10 mins
A sweet and sour tasting sweet, traditionally made from fresh tamarind pods. It's a lot of work to extract the pulp. So here is an alternative method that simplifies the process using tamarind paste, which is available from Indian or Middle eastern markets.
- Mix tamarind paste with 1 cup of sugar, adding more sugar as needed to get a stiff consistency that molds easily.
- Add hot pepper and black pepper
- Cover mixture with plastic wrap and set aside overnight at room temperature.
- Form into 1 - inch balls and place on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper or parchment. Set aside to dry a few hours, uncovered at room temperature.
- Roll the tamarind balls in the remaining sugar and store at room temperature. Tamarind balls keep for up to two weeks.