Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A friend gave me a heap of tamarillos so I needed a chutney recipe. Here's the one I found and Russ cooked up for us.
- 750 g tamarillos (approximately 12)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 long red chili, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups caster sugar
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- To make chutney, cut a small cross on the base of each tamarillo. Put tamarillos in a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Stand for 1 minute or until skin begins to peel. Drain and peel.
- Roughly chop and put in a bowl.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and chilli. Cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Add tamarillo, sugar, vinegar, raisins, allspice and cinnamon. Stir until well combined and sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and spoon chutney into a large, hot, sterilised jar.