Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This chutney is our favourite and is a great tasty accompaniment to cold cuts of meat such as chicken and beef and is also vert tasty with cheese and crackers especially Brie and Camembert. I compiled this recipe myself with experimenting with tamarillos.
- 24 tamarillos
- 4 apples, cored and chopped
- 4 large onions, chopped
- 400 g pitted dates, chopped
- 500 ml malt vinegar
- 1 kg brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- Slice tamarillos in half lengthwise and place in microwave dish and cook for five minutes.
- This enables one to remove skins with ease.
- (Depending on size of dish this will take several lots to microwave the 24 tamarillos).
- Place all ingredients in a large pot or preserving pan and bring to the boil stirring frquently.
- Simmer covered stirring frequently for approximately 2 hours or until thick.
- Pour into hot sterilised jars and cover when cold.
This chutney is sublime - different - and was very straight forward to make. Tamarillos have such a unique flavour and combine so well with dates