Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Made from scratch tamales, yummy
Make and share this Tamales recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups tortilla flour, masa harina
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 cup butter, refridgerated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup tomato puree
- 1⁄2 cup apple, peeled cored and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons parsley, snipped
- 2 tablespoons almonds, toasted and chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Mix together tortilla flour and water, cover and let stand 20 minutes.
- In large bowl beat together butter and salt until fluffy.
- Beat in flour mixture until well combined.
- Using Corn husks or aluminum foil as a wrapper add 2 tablespoons dough onto each wrapper until dough is all used up.
- Spread to 5"x3" rectangle on each one.
- In skillet over medium heat saute onion and garlic until onions are clear.
- Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink.
- Drain fat.
- Add remainder of ingredients, cover and cook for 20 - 25 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon meat mixture to each tamale wrapper.
- Roll up tamales and seal ends.
- Place tamales on rack in steamer.
- Add water to just below rack level.
- Bring to a boil, cover and steam for 40 - 45 minutes or until tamale pulls away from wrapper. adding water as needed.
These savory and slightly sweet tamales were great. I subbed ground turkey for the beef and currants for the raisins with excellent results. I soaked the corn husks in warm water first, as other recipes recommended. Also, decided to serve with avocado salsa. Does anyone have other suggestions for condiments? Terrific recipe.