2 hrs 30 mins
Carol in Cabo's Note:
I adapted this soooo heavily, but the base is a recipe in the November issue of Food Network magazine. It was too spicy for my husband, but I loved it. Hope you do, too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 poblano peppers
- 1 kg masa harina flour (corn meal and lard mixture for making tortillas)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups hot water
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chipottle peppers in adobo seasoning or 1 tablespoon chipottle salsa
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 links dried chorizo sausage
- 2 tablespoons soy or other cooking oil
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 4 banana leaves
- 11. If you cannot find masa (ask where you buy tortillas) substitute 3.5 cups corn flour with 1.3 cups lard.
- 2I do not know why, but the website keeps adding harina flour to my word masa which is SOOOO not correct!
- 32. Broil or BBQ poblanos until the skin is charred. Place in bowl, cover with plastic wrap and chill. When cool rub off skin, remove seeds and stem and chopped coarsely.
- 43. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- 54. In large bowl mix masa (or lard/corn flour mixture), baking powder, salt, broth and water and mix until smooth (you might need to use your hands to get out all the lumps). It's a loose batter.
- 65. Chop onions, zest, garlic, chorizo.
- 76. Put the oil in saute pan and add onions, garlic, zest, chorizo, chipotle, cumin and cook until onion and chipotle are cooked (around 3 minutes).
- 87. Add the poblanos and capers and season with salt.
- 98. Stir the onion mixture into the masa mixture.
- 109. Line a 9x13 baking dish with banana leaves, leaving enough to roll over the top. Cross them so that the batter won't fall out. Pour in the batter, and put another banana leave over the center, bend the leaves from below over to seal. Cover with tin foil.
- 1110. Bake until set, about one hour and 15 minutes. Remove the foil half way.
- 1211. Enjoy! I loved it.
Browse Our Top Corn Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Corn Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tamale Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (260 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 586.2
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 13.2 mg
- Sodium 478.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 101.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.9 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 17.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: