Recipe by Susan Lee
I am always seeking to duplicate the tamale pie served in my junior high cafeteria in the 60's. This comes close to the casserole of my youth!
- 1 lb ground round
- 3⁄4 cup taco sauce or 3⁄4 cup salsa
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook meat, stirring to crumble well.
- (For extra fine meat, soak ground meat in cold water for 2 hours- in fridge. Pour off water, and cook, stirring often. Excess water will cook off, leaving very tender tiny crumbles). Drain if needed, add taco sauce or salsa.
- Mix all ingredients except egg and cheese.
- Pour this cornmeal mixture in the bottom of a round pie pan.
- Spread meat/sauce mixture on cornmeal mixture.
- Beat together the egg and shredded cheese.
- Pour egg mixture on top of meat.
- Bake at 375°F for about 20 minutes or so, until the cheese is very golden.
- Serve with extra sauce or salsa.
- This can be made as a vegetarian pie by using comparable amounts of refried beans.