Recipe by mamabear22
My husband gets delicious homemade tamales every Thursday at the school where he works. I always freeze whatever we can't eat and eventually we get a backlog, so I made up this recipe last night and it turned out great. Most of the measurements (other than the canned goods) are just estimates and can be adjusted according to preference.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin, ground
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 10 -12 frozen tamales (chicken, pork, or beef)
- 1 cup colby-monterey jack cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients except tamales and cheddar cheese in large crockpot. Cook on low for 4 to 5 hours.
- Meanwhile, allow tamales to thaw just enough to be able to cut them.
- About 30 minutes prior to serving, add still-mostly-frozen tamales to crockpot and cook on high for 30 minutes.
- Serve with cheese sprinkled on top.