Recipe by Rita~
A spin off of the Mexican Tamale! Great for POT LUCK! Serve with a salad a side of sour cream and guacamole and you have a nice meal. A lot easier then stuffing corn husks. DON'T FORGET THE MARGARITAS OR A TALL COLD BEER!
Top Review by StacyMD187373
This was really good. However, I did half the cornbread topping mixture since I've had similar things before and it always seemed like too much. Half of the topping was perfect. Even DH (who doesn't like casseroles), liked it. I left out the olives, bell pepper (don't really like) and tomato paste (didn't have), added in a little rotel I had leftover and some brine from jar of pickled jalapenos just to use it up. Will make again! Thanks so much for posting!!
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2-1 1⁄2 lb ground beef (or beef and pork mixture)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (19 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup salsa (I like hot!)
- 2 ounces tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup black olives
- hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄4 cup beer
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup scallion
- 1 -2 jalapeno, diced finely
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease 13x9x2 baking dish.
- In a large skillet heat oil add the peppers and onions saute for 5 minutes.
- Add beef to pan mixing to crumble cooking about about 5 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients plus 1/4 cup beer.
- Put into prepared pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients, stir to mix well.
- In an other bowl, whisk yogurt,eggs,and oil to blend.
- Stir in 3/4 cup cheese, scallions and jalapeño.
- Pour yogurt mixture over the cornmeal mixture and stir just till blended.
- Top the filling with crust mixture.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and bake for 30 minutes.