Recipe by Jb Tyler, TX
Wonderful comfort food! One of my family's favorites. Great casserole to "make and take". You can make it as spicy as you want. My mother made this with ground beef, I sometimes make it with leftover cooked, diced chicken for a lower fat alternative. Reminds me of my mom when I make it! You can serve it with Pico, sour cream or cilantro. TIP: I use a dutch oven - that way I don't have to transfer it to a casserole dish - thus saving myself a dish to wash!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 cup black olives, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef, onions, garlic, and green pepper - drain any fat. (You can substitute diced, cooked chicken at this point for the beef, just brown the onions, garlic and green pepper) Add tomato sauce and corn, cummin, olives and salt. Mix and simmer 20 minutes. Add cheese and stir til melted, cover and remove from heat.
- For cornmeal topping:.
- Mix meal and 1 t. salt into cold water. Cook until like mush. Stir in butter.
- Pour meat mixture into a large baking dish and top with meal mixture.
- Bake at 375 Degrees F for 20 minutes.