Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This has a yummy chili-cornmeal crust.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb Italian sausage, remove from casings
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 (14 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn kernels
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies, not drained
- Preheat crock pot to high.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and sausage in oil, until crumbled and no longer pink.
- Put meat in slow cooker reserving 1 T. of the liquid from the pan.
- Add reserved oil, onions, carrots and celery to the pan. Cook and stir until softened. Add jalapeno, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. cook and stir for about 1 minute. Add ketchup and refried beans an stir well. Add stock and corn and bring to a boil. Pour over meats in slow cooker and stir well to combine.
- To make the topping:.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Mix butter, egg and milk together and pour into dry ingredients. Stir just to blend.
- Fold in cheese and green chilies.
- spread over meat mixture in the crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Topping will rise and get crusty and the meat will be bubbly and hot.
- Serve with a green salad for an easy meal.
In an effort to make this recipe healthier, I used soyrizo and it came out too spicy. Not hot, just too much seasoning. I think I will try it again someday.
Five star flavor, but visually unattractive and a contains lot of salt and saturated fat. I followed the directions exactly, using the longer cook time at low heat setting. The liquid level rose above the top of the "crust" so it was very soggy.
This was great! I did omit the ground beef and Italian sausage for ground turkey, and no refried beans, ketchup or broth. Instead I used 2 cans of red enchilada sauce, and some red chile flakes for some heat. Served with fresh beans and sour cream on the side. Simply awesome! I will do this again and again!