Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I grew up eating tamale pie. this recipe is a slow cooker version
- 1 lb lean beef
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk, warm
- 1 large egg
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can corn, drained (no salt preferred)
- 1 can sliced black olives, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheese (mix of monterey jack, cheddar, and if you can find it Queso Blanco)
- in large bowl mix corn meal, milk, set aside brown meat until crumbly, Drain and add taco seasoning to meat as package directs.
- add seasoned salt, tomatoes, corn, and olives add egg to corn meal mixture, put half into bottom of slow cooker (crockpot) add meat mixture, 1/2 cup of cheese, then cover with the remainder of corn meal mixture.
- cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours sprinkle remainder of cheese on top, recover and cook till melted, approx 5 min makes about 6 servings,.
This recipe was OK. I think with some tweaking to one's personal tastes it could be even better. next time I plan on doubling the recipe (to make the casserole a bit more substantial), adding some green peppers to the cornmeal mix and topping with sour cream and chopped green onions. Definite potential, thanks for sharing!