Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Easy to make for a fast and filling meal, serve with a salad and you are ready to go.
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground chuck
- 12 ounces corn, drain well
- 10 ounces diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 1 1⁄4 ounces taco seasoning (1 pkg)
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 6 ounces corn muffin mix (1 pkg)
- 1⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 green onion (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place meat in large skillet, cook over medium-high heat 6 to 8 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, breaking meat into small pieces with wood spoon or spatula. Pour off drippings. Add corn, tomatoes, seasoning mix and water to meat. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Drain off any excess liquid.
- Pour into deep 9-inch pie plate; smooth top with spatula.
- Spread cheese over top of meat mixture. I substituted Velveeta and it was wonderful.
- Prepare corm muffin mix according to package directions. Spread evenly over meat mixture.
- Sprinkle onion slices over top if desired.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
Just a note to let you know how much my family has enjoyed this recipe over the past several months... I now double the entire recipe ensure there is enough to go around and enough for leftovers the next day! The leftovers are delicious as well!! UPDATE: Two and a half years later - this is still a regular at our table, and still a family favorite! Thanks again! Also...I add a little bit of cheese to the top after it has cooked...yum!!!
Easy, quick and versatile. This will go into my quick-meal list. I skipped the corn and green onions (kid preference) and used about 1.5 cups of cheese on top. Everyone liked it! Thanks for a keeper!
This was good, but I felt like one box of corn muffin mix wasn't enough to cover the dish, so I made up a second one. Unfortunately, this threw off the baking time. However, it was good and fairly easy to make.