Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This is a recipe I often make ahead and freeze to cook on a day when there's too little time...
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup sliced green olives
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- 1⁄2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chili peppers, chopped
- For beef mixture: In a large skillet cook onion and green pepper in oil over moderately-low heat, stirring, until vegetables are softened; add beef and cook over moderate heat until beef is no longer pink.
- Stir in tomato sauce, paste, corn, olives, cumin, cocoa, allspice, chili powder, Worcestershire Sauce, Tabasco, cornmeal and salt and pepper.
- Simmer mixture, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes and add additional Worcestershire Sauce and Tabasco to suit you.
- Preheat oven to 390 degrees F.
- Spoon mixture in shallow 2 ½ quart casserole (may be chilled overnight).
- In a bowl, sift together flour, cornmeal, sugar and baking powder.
- Add butter, milk and egg until batter is just combined.
- Stir in cheddar and chili peppers and drop batter by spoonfuls around edge of casserole.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350F and bake 30 minutes more.
Very good, I adjusted the ingredients in the beef mixture, I omitted the cocoa, added in fresh garlic and adjusted all the seasoning amounts. The topping from this recipe is very good but I feel that it needed more baking powder and melted butter. Thanks Ev!...Kitten:)
This is a unique combination of flavors. I think they work well, although I think the cornbread topping was a bit dry. Served this with sour cream.