Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From "Best Recipes" (from boxes/jars/etc). Posted online at http://lynnescountrykitchen.net/boxtop/tamale.html. If desired, increase chili powder, and/or add cumin to taste. Top with a bit of shredded cheddar. Source and modifications from Anne Papina Smith
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 1 1⁄2 cups 100% whole stone-ground yellow cornmeal (Elam's)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 lb ground chuck or 1 lb ground round
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (1 lb) can tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (8 3/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained (1 cup)
- Combine and mix cold water and corn meal. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt to boiling water. Add corn-meal mixture, stirring constantly, and bring to a boil. Partially cover pan; cook slowly 7 minutes, stirring often.
- Line bottom and sides of a greased 2-quart casserole with cooked mush.
- Cook beef and onion in a frying pan until beef is brown and crumbly. Stir in flour, remaining 1 teaspoon salt and chili powder. Add tomatoes, breaking them up into chunks with spoon. Stir in tomato sauce and corn.
- Spoon into mush-lined casserole. Bake in a 350 degree oven until hot and bubbly, 40 to 45 minutes.