Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
A family recipe for Tamale Pie
- 3 1⁄3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (13 ounce) can corn, drained
- 3⁄4 tablespoon chili powder
- Heat broth ina saucepan almost to a boil. Combine cooking wine and yellow corn meal. Stir into hot broth until thickened.
- Set saucepan containing corn meal mixture in about 1 inch of hot water in a large skillet. Cook over medium heat, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Stir a bit of hot corn meal mixture into the eggs, then quickly stir them back into the hot corn meal mixture. Beat well and stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Saute onion and green pepper with ground beef, stirring often.
- Stir in garlic, salt, tomato sauce, corn, and chili powder. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350.
- Grease a 3-quart casserole dish.
- Spread 2/3 of corn meal mixture over bottom and sides of casserole dish, then fill with meat mixture. Use remaining corn meal mixture to spread over the top of the meat.
- Bake for 50 minutes.
Not you run of the mill standard tamale pie, but very tasty! Never thought of using wine with tamales. Made as part of a Mexican feast last night. Got a lot of complements. Thnx for posting, Ben. Made for Fall 2008 PAC.