Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is a family recipe for Tamale Pie.
- 3 1⁄3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (13 ounce) can corn, drained
- 3⁄4 tablespoon chili powder
- Heat chicken broth in a saucepan almost to a boil. Combine cooking wine and yellow corn meal. Stir into hot broth until thickened.
- Set saucepan containing corn meal mixture in about one inch of hot water in a large skillet. Cook over medium heat, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Stir a bit of hot corn meal into the eggs, then quickly stir them back into the hot corn meal mixture. Beat well and stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Saute onion and green pepper with ground beef, stirring often.
- Stir in garlic, 1 tsp salt, tomato sauce, corn, chili powder; cover; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350. Grease 3-quart casserole dish.
- Spread 2/3 of cornmeal mixture over bottom and sides of casserole dish, then fill with meat mixture.
- Use remaining cornmeal mixture to spread over the top of the meat.
- Bake for 50 minutes.