Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is almost like Taco Pie but better! All these ingredients can be purchased at The Dollar Tree or Aldi grocery stores. This recipe is a budget cooking recipe!
- 1 (8 ounce) box cornbread mix
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1 (8 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups Fritos corn chips
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- Brown hamburger.
- Mix taco seasoning and water in a jar and add to hamburger according to package directions.
- Mix cornbread mix in separate bowl then spread to bottom of dish to form crust.
- Crush and sprinkle half of the corn chips and add hamburger mixture. Spread sour cream like you're frosting cake. Sprinkle heavily with cheese and remaining chips.
- Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes.
We loved this! My kids actually asked for second and third helpings. The only thing I will do differently next time is to add a layer of bell peppers and onions so that there are some veggies in it. I don't usually like one dish meals, but this was really good.
I made this on 6/20/08 for the "My -3- Chefs 2008 " cooking event, and as part of our dinner. To a beginner cook, the directions might be a little confusing where it reads to add cornmeal mix, and fritos.There should be something about mixing the cornmeal mix with an egg and the required amount of water.For the taco seasoning I used this,Recipe#199955.I baked this at the time and temp. suggested and after that time the crust was just not done enough.For us, it was way too much sour cream.The taste was not what we expected.I sure wish that we could have given this a higher rating.