Recipe by WiGal
This easy TOH mildly seasoned recipe I have made many times. I did reduce the number of servings to 6. :)
Top Review by NELady
This was quick to put together and a tasty lunch. I added some cumin and oregano to the meat mixture (and doubled the amount of chili powder) because I thought it needed more flavor. I used organic sprouted corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas, and used a shredded Mexican cheese blend. Very filling. I still thought it needed a bit more zing (maybe some green peppers or some more cumin/chili powder), but that is an easy adjustment to make to the meat mixture. Made for ZWT5 for the Groovy GastroGnomes.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, double if you like more heat
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 flour tortillas (6 inch)
- 12 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded (3 cups)
- 2 1⁄4 ounces sliced ripe olives, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a skillet, brown ground beef; drain.
- Add tomatoes, onion, and spices.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Arrange five tortillas in the bottom of a 13 X 9 X 2 inch baking dish, tearing tortillas as needed.
- Cover with half of the meat mixture, then half of the cheese.
- Repeat layers, using remaining tortillas, meat mixture and cheese.
- Sprinkle with olives.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Let stand a few minutes before serving.