Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Never made before, saving on here
Make and share this Tamale Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb ground beef round
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black beans
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (9 ounce) package 6-inch corn tortillas
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In 3-qt flame-proof, oven-proof casserole dish, combine beef, onion, pepper, and garlic. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until beef has changed color. Remove casserole from burner.
- Turn out meat mixture onto large plate line w/ paper towels to absorb any excess fat. Return to casserole.
- Add tomato sauce, black beans, corn, chili powder, cumin, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Stir to mix well. Scoop out five cups of mixture and reserve in medium-sized bowl.
- Lay half of tortillas over mixture remaining in casserole, overlapping and covering entire surface. Add 2-1/2 cups of reserved meat and bean mixture over tortillas, spreading it out w/ back of large spoon. Lay remaining tortillas over mixture in casserole, overlapping and covering entire surface. Top w/ remaining meat and bean mixture, spreading out evenly over tortillas.
- Bake uncovered for 45 to 50 minutes or until sauce begins to bubble.
This was fabulous but i made a few changes: Only used 1 can black beans Added 1 can stewed Tomatoes Increased Cumin to 1 tablespoon Omitted salt/pepper/cayenne and added 1 heaping teaspoon of beef Better Than Bullion. Omitted corn tortillas and added 2 packages of green chile and cilantro polenta from Whole Foods. Added a package of shredded Mexican 4 cheese I cooked the filling on top the stove as directed. In a mixer, I opened the 2 packages of polenta, crumbled them up, added 2 eggs and beat until fluffy. I put the filling in a casserole dish and spooned the polenta on top and baked 35 minutes. Then topped with the package of cheese and returned to the oven for 5 minutes. I served sour cream and homemade salsa on the side. I bet black olives in the filling would be good. Thank you for the recipe. I had never worked with polenta and had 2 packages that I wasn't sure what to do with. Now I have a great recipe.