Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This is a delicious dish which is worth the time it takes to prepare. Chicken, roasted peppers and cheese in a steamed tamale masa shell. It is a favorite at Blue Mesa Grill in Dallas.
- 1 cup room temperature butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs masa harina flour (do not substitute corn meal)
- for masa harina flour
- 2 1⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
GREEN CHILE SAUCE
- 4 poblano peppers
- olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
CHICKEN PIE FILLING
- 2 large cooked chicken breasts, diced
- 3⁄4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup corn
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- enchilada sauce
- pico de gallo
- Place the butter in a large bowl and beat with a mixer on medium speed until light and whipped.
- Add in the masa, beat well.
- Gradually add in chicken stock, salt, cumin and baking powder. Blend together very well. Set this masa mixture aside.
- Preheat even to 350 degrees.
- Lightly brush chile peppers lightly with olive oil.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil, and roast peppers on it for 10 to 15 minutes or until the skins blister.
- Remove peppers from oven and put into a paper bag for a couple of minutes; allow to cool, then remove skins.
- Slit peppers In half vertically.
- Remove seeds and dice coarsely.
- Place 1/2 cup diced peppers into blender. Add the minced garlic, parmesan, olive oil, pine nuts and salt;.
- puree into smoothness.
- Place all chicken filling ingredients into a large bowl. Add remaining diced peppers. Toss.
- Into your largest large roasting pan, add 3 inches of extremely hot water. Place roasting pan in oven. Probably easier to place the pan in the oven first, and then add the hot water.
- Spray four 3-cup, oven-safe bowls with Pam or it's equivalent.
- Coat the bottom and sides of each bowl with about 3/4 of a cup of the masa mixture.
- Into each masa bowl, place 3-4 T green chile sauce, then 1/2 cup of the chicken filling mix.
- Seal the top of each bowl by evenly dividing the remaining masa and spreading it over the top of each one.
- Cover each bowl with aluminum foil; fold down the edges to make this cover as tightly sealed as possible.
- Bake masa bowls in water bath for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Unmold. May be served with enchilada sauce and pico de gallo.
- Makes 4 large bowls, quite filling. May be made smaller for appetizers.