Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an old family Mexican casserole.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole corn
- 1 (16 ounce) can black olives
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup cornmeal
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Fry hamburger and drain.
- Add the onions, green pepper and garlic; cook until onions are golden.
- Add tomatoes, corn,olives, salt and pepper, and chili powder; stir and add corn meal.
- Pour this all in a 13x9-inch pan.
- In a sauce pan pour in 2 cups milk, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons butter and 1 cup of corn meal.
- Stir until thick (it thickens fast).
- Pour mixture on top of the hamburger mixture. If you desire, sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake until golden, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Followed recipe, we didn't care for it.
Very tasty! It was easy to make and the taste was wonderful. I followed the recipe except I used black beans instead of black olives (just a personal preference). I will definitely be making this again...yum. Thanks for sharing.
Where does the water go? Ingredients lists 1c water but its not included in the instructions.